Metro has obtained leaked video footage showing fire damage inside the SkyCity International Convention Centre.
The footage, supplied to Bauer Media, shows shafts of light shining through the centre's damaged roof, which is reportedly now partially collapsed, and extensive flooding covering the top floor. Construction equipment is everywhere, but few people are on the site.
Some hotspots were still smouldering, Fire Area Commander Richard Twomey told media at a conference this morning.
The massive fire, believed at this point to be caused by a worker leaving a blowtorch on while going on smoko, started at 1.15 on Tuesday afternoon. More than 100 firefighters have been battling the blaze since then and the NZ Herald reports fatigue is starting to set in.
SkyCity spokeswoman Kaity Alexander confirmed the footage appeared to be filmed inside the damaged centre, which is currently being managed by fire services, and told Metro that "members of the public and media are not allowed to enter the building – and we strongly recommend that people stay away".
In a media release sent shortly before midday on Thursday, SkyCity's communications team confirmed the fire was under control, with plans to re-open the Auckland precinct (including the Sky Tower, casino and hotels) in phases over the afternoon.